Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Tuesday, April 18, 2006

    One Cheap Date


    Same Old Song -- Marvin Hill



    That’s my new blogger name. Or should be. I’ve been drinking elevated levels of alcohol, and have discovered that I’m not a sorority girl anymore.

    Last night it was champagne. I had a little extra left over from the Easter Brunch mimosas.

    Can I say that Easter sucked? Ok, not entirely; there were our friends who joined us in lieu of O’s family. They are lovely people. G. has known me since before I was born, literally. I like to say that he is the first guy I ever slept with, and that I slept with his brother simultaneously.

    Of course, we were five, three and two years old at the time.

    G.’s wife is also a lot of fun. She brought plastic eggs and hid them in the yard for the boyos. It was very sweet.

    I don’t even want to talk about O’s family. So I won’t.

    Last night, I had my leftover champagne. O was out front with the boyos, watering our beautiful cherry tree. God, it smells so good. You can stand on the hill in our back yard, and the scent will sneak up on you, and kiss you like a shy lover. An ethereal caress.

    I joined the fam out front. I was thinking about the meme I just posted. There’s a question concerning some nonsense about childhood candy you no longer eat. It got me thinking about things that I do miss from childhood.

    That cherry tree. Looking at it reminded me of a tree from my grandparents’ front yard. A magnolia tree, so lovely and supple and smooth. A perfect climbing tree. I would scale its trunk, scamper into the branches and read a book. Or, I’d just lay on the limbs and watch the world go by.

    My perfect green hiding place, complete with giant pink and white blooms in the late spring. I carved the initials of my first love on one of its branches. My cousins gave me no end of grief when they discover the heart and letters.

    The tree is long-gone, as are my beloved grandma and grandpa.

    But our cherry tree…

    It looked like my long-lost magnolia. I put my bare foot on its bark, rough but not painful (the champagne helped) and lifted myself into the tree. My feet aren’t much good to me anymore, but my arms are strong. Strong enough to lift me up over everyone’s heads. God, the layout of the branches was so similar I expected to see my old carving. I climbed up into the white blossoms, into the good smell. My children below cheered me on.

    Our across-the-street-neighbor came over and laughed. She’s a sweet lady, my mom’s age. O apologized for me. “This is what happens when I let her have a glass of wine,” he said.

    Champagne!” I corrected him. Details are important.

    Tonight it’s an ’02 Chianti.

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    Please tell me O got a picture of all this! And please tell me you are going to send it to me. :-)

    7:58 PM, April 18, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    O did not get a picture of it. Sorry.

    O

    8:30 PM, April 18, 2006  
    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    I love the image of you in your cherry tree!!!! Did you bring your drinky up there with you? Miss Nancy Dancehall! You just exude living! I really enjoy the way you live your life with open arms!

    8:34 PM, April 18, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    DMG: Like O says, no photos. Sorry!

    O: Talking about ourselves in the third person again I see. Thanks for finally delurking.

    Julie: Thanks! My drinky was in my tummy, so I guess I did bring it up in the tree.
    I try to live by, 'While I can, I will.'

    10:31 AM, April 19, 2006  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Whew! Good thing George Washington's dead or you woulda been up shit creek. . .

    1:48 PM, April 19, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Me? I'm impervious to falling. :-)

    4:02 PM, April 19, 2006  
    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    O - would like to have a fine adult beverage from Dublin, but they are quite hard to find... then again, so are trees.... and champagne is way out. Sorry ND, will just have to live vicariously through you... Thanks.

    10:42 AM, April 20, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Live away! We'll keep the Dubh beverage and the champagne cold for your return.

    8:03 PM, April 20, 2006  
    Blogger 柯云 wrote in a love letter...

    2016-04-23keyun
    nike sb dunks
    polo outlet
    coach outlet online
    longchamp handbags
    jordan 3s
    michael kors bags
    tory burch shoes
    montblanc pen
    kate spade
    ray ban sunglasses uk
    adidas yeezy
    cheap toms shoes
    michael kors handbags
    oakley outlet
    louis vuitton handbags
    kate spade outlet
    coach outlet online
    louis vuitton
    coach outlet clearance
    gucci outlet
    kate spade handbags
    rolex watches
    fitflop sale
    michael kors outlet
    louis vuitton
    michael kors purses
    michael kors purses
    coach factory outlet
    michael kors outlet
    louis vuitton purses
    toms wedges
    christian louboutin sale
    ray ban outlet
    timberland boots
    coach outlet
    longchamp outlet
    kate spade outlet
    air max 90
    insanity workout

    3:18 AM, April 22, 2016  
    Blogger jeje wrote in a love letter...

    jordan retro
    michael kors purses
    air max 95
    patriots jerseys
    cheap jordans
    nike roshe run
    yeezy boost 350
    nike huarache sale
    louboutin shoes
    kobe 11

    9:21 PM, March 22, 2017  

    Post a Comment

    << Home