Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, April 28, 2006

    Friday Meme

    I might have to make this a regular thing for Fridays, 'cause I got nothin'.

    What is…

    On top of your refrigerator:
    Let’s climb on the counter and find out. Hmmm…stray Jelly Bellies, my grandmother’s rolling pin, Hebrew language flash cards, crayons, specifically ‘timberwolf ‘ and ‘burnt sienna’, dust.


    On your wall:
    No particular wall is specified, so on the bedroom wall are two stained-glass windows, two shelves holding art by Marvin Hill (Protector, Artemis, Hestia, Hecate, She Falls,) one carved wooden box from Nepal and another from Italy, and a phallic-looking vase.


    On your feet:

    Only the birthday shoes God gave me.


    In your pockets:

    Left pocket: a rabbit carved from green Connamara marble and a gold filigree heart with a diamond from my grandmother’s wedding ring. Right pocket: plastic bit from a toy and a business card from a man I’ve never met, with a note scribbled on the back addressed to me saying,

    ‘Wouldn’t an Uncle Nick’s
    gyro taste good
    right about now?’

    And oh God is he RIGHT!


    On the radio:
    Carly Simon: You’re So Vain. Fitting.


    On your TV:

    Dust. Three NetFlix discs. A remote missing its batteries.


    On your mind:

    Lots. Specifically: how well the sale is going, invoices I need to send out and keep putting off, how tired I am, whether or not I want to venture out tomorrow night, and Mr. Clowncar’s revisions to my manuscript. Generally: Sex, God, music, bits and snips of stories, am I a good mom?, Ireland.

    14 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Esereth wrote in a love letter...

    I have the Netflix, I have the naked shoes. Otherwise, you are more interesting than me. You carry marble and gold in your pockets? I have a dirty paper towel I've been using as a tissue.

    9:05 PM, April 28, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    The Man who Wanted to be King, whether my Dad's asleep yet ( just landed, jetlag - poor man) whether I am sane.
    The other things don't quite apply: these jeans have no pockets without holes, no radio, no TV. On my fridge is a set of coasters and on my wall is a print of Grace Kelly. And a red-wine stain.
    Dantares.

    9:14 PM, April 28, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    I am honestly most pleased with the wine-stain in that lot. Many people have coasters, many people have holes in their pockets - not many have winestains all the way up the wall and ceiling.
    Dantares.

    10:13 PM, April 28, 2006  
    Blogger The Laughing Frog wrote in a love letter...

    In order:

    1) licorice jellybellies and tortilla chips

    2) I'll stick to the kitchen for this one, so a corkboard

    3) Suede shearling lined UGG clogs (although most of the time it's Sperry deck shoes)

    4) Nothing in my pockets--I empty them onto the foyer table when I walk in every night

    5) Radio? I only listen to it in my car during morning rush hour, but it's a classic rock/alternative station

    6) TV? I almost never watch it, but sometimes FoxNews, History, Sci-Fi, or Discovery. Perhaps two hours a week on a weekend, unless I fall asleep in front of the tv.

    7) On my mind? By now, next to nothing. Ka-sizzle. But when I recover, it would be my job and that sci-fi short story project I have brewing on the side for kicks.

    10:50 PM, April 28, 2006  
    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    The baghdad report:

    1. TV as I only have a small frig that doesn't work, except as a holding device...

    2.Not authorized, but at work, nothing but maps as far as the eyes want to travel.

    3. Combat boots (desert style) or sketchers when I'm feeling frisky...

    4. Wallet with keys, card holder, lighter, oh and a 9mm Beretta on the side.

    5. Don't have one, but playing some Billy Joel through the computer. "Only the good die young..." Not sure if that is trying to tell me something or not...

    6. Don't get to watch it much, but catch the news occasionally.

    7. Generally: Sex, work, sex and the lack there or..., work; and how much work I get to do, due to the lack of competency by those around me...(oh, and did I mention the sex thing?)

    3:15 AM, April 29, 2006  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    Hmmm...this should be interesting.

    1)My insulated lunch box...and a basket still out from Easter.

    2) A picture of wild turkeys (the ones that live in the woods, not the kind you drink). Inherited the picture from hubby's side of the family. The artist is famous for his wildlife prints (ours is a reproduction) can't remember his name.

    3. Socks - it's rainy and cold here today and my feet are always cold regardless of the weather.

    4. No pockets - wearing sweat pants (I have this theory that the invention of pockets are proof of man's superiority over animals but takes to long to explain in this short format)

    5. currently no radio - listening to Enya earlier.

    6. Peter Pan - Disney. Little girl needed to settle down a little (TV is a mental pacifier).

    7. Wondering when hubby will come home. Wishing little girl would take nap. Hoping to get out of the house for some me time.

    11:52 AM, April 29, 2006  
    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    1. Trays
    2. All manner of musicalia
    3. yoga feet
    4. Nada
    5. Me, actually
    6. Dust. Never use the fucker
    7. Getting a PDA and setting up some guitar lessons.

    Pretty boring shit, huh?

    8:55 AM, May 01, 2006  
    Blogger amusing wrote in a love letter...

    Fridge: All manner of colorful, sugar-filled kids' cereals, and a serving tray

    Wall: (in kitchen?) kid art -- robots, monsters, jails with bad guys, rocket ships, superheros, the undersea world of their imagination -- complete with sunken pirate ship

    Feet: slippers, it's spring, but my toes get cold

    Pocket full of dreams

    Radio: off -- but classical or the college station alt

    TV: keeps me company, damn it

    Mind: Food and nap cravings are doing battle with law take-home exam. Who will win? (Put your money on the first two...)

    1:06 PM, May 01, 2006  
    Blogger The Laughing Frog wrote in a love letter...

    Oh, god, I love these replies. They are pretty funny. The more boring, the funnier they are.

    10:02 PM, May 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Esereth: Here's a Kleenex. unused. Except for that wad of gum wrapped in the corner. Makes it smell minty-fresh though.

    Dantares: That would please me as well. Or would have a long time ago.

    LF: A blank corkboard? How zen.

    JT: Re: #5 -- you'll live forever, then. ;-)

    DMG: You'll have to elaborate on #4.

    Bud: #5...how cool. What does that feel like?

    Amusing: I love it all.

    LF: Great, aren't they?

    12:34 AM, May 02, 2006  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    Okay - I will elaborate on #4. The sweatpants were dark blue with two light blue stripes down each leg; a number 18 and Drake University printed on the left hip; elastic waistband with a tie in front. Not terribly stylish but very comfy.

    Is that what you wanted me to elaborate on? ;-)

    10:31 AM, May 02, 2006  
    Blogger Jonathon S.B. Tiercel wrote in a love letter...

    DMG - I won't need more than that...thanks. And let me tell you... the JC Pennys catalog is pretty good too!!!

    11:27 AM, May 02, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Uhm....I kinda meant elaborate on the theory, not the pants...but I'm glad it worked for someone...

    I'm just here to make everybody happy.

    5:44 PM, May 02, 2006  
    Blogger Des_Moines_Girl wrote in a love letter...

    JT - dude, lay off the Skittles! Or maybe eat more? ;-)

    ND - I'll have to write up a blog about my pocket theory.

    6:42 AM, May 03, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home