Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Tuesday, March 28, 2006

    Ms. Dancehall, the Senator Is On the Line



    Yes, yes, yes, but first…


    Ah, sweet release!
    So warm and welcoming;
    parted lovers reuniting
    in the first days of spring,
    fall into bed together,
    touching, exploring,
    muscles taut
    skin bared to the sun, shameless
    with pleasure, desires filled,
    sweat from one falls on the other;
    a body so well-known.
    My fingers dig in and explore
    the one who will nourish me later
    who nourishes my spirit now --
    letting me forget
    just for a while
    everything
    else.

    Yes! I was out in the garden today, planting some root crops and digging up others. Parsnips, spicy-sweet from overwintering in the ground. I’ll roast them for dinner tonight.
    Or…hmmmm...
    …I’ll thaw out the pheasant, marinate it, and serve the parsnips with that on Wednesday night.
    Yeah.


    Oh yes, the phone call.

    I got home from work last night and my mom called. O answered.
    His eyebrows lifted.
    “I’ll let you tell her,” he said, handing the phone to me.
    “Hi,” I said.
    “Hi. I got a phone call. For you.”
    “Oh really? Who?”
    Senator Dick Durbin.”
    “Really? Which was it for, the Santorum-Durbin Amendment or H.R. 683?”
    Pause. “Something about trademarks?”
    “Cool. That’s H.R. 683. So what was it, some recording?”
    “No! He called you. Just now. I missed it. Do you want to hear the message?”
    “Well, yeah!”

    So, she put the phone up to the answering machine, and there he was, Senator Dick Durbin, in the flesh (or rather, in the voice) telling me he appreciated my concern about H.R. 683, that he liked the points I made, and the bill passed with the requested changes. If I had any questions, I could call him.

    Blink blink.

    “Democracy works,” I told my mom.
    “So why did he call here?”
    “I have no idea. I gave him your address—”
    “Why?”
    “Because I thought it’d have more impact if I gave him an Illinois address. I didn’t give him your phone number though. I just figured I’d get some generic email.”
    “Well. He called. He must have looked it up.”
    “Cool. Vote for him, ok?”
    “Um. Sure. Should I expect another call from the senator? What was that other thing?”
    “Funding for fighting AIDS and malaria. I doubt he’ll call; that’s a huge issue. He’d be on the phone the rest of his life for that one.”
    “Ok. But if he does, should I give him your number?”
    I just laughed. “Yeah, sure, why not?”

    Never underestimate the power of a stay-at-home-mom. Or grandma. Communism ultimately failed because of grandmothers. Seriously.

    Anyway, my Illinois peeps – I don’t agree with EVRYTHING Durbin does, but check out his record, and vote if he moves you. At least he listens. I can tell you I never got more than generic email from the Colorado senators. Boneheads.

    Ok. Back to the garden; my other ‘grass roots’ project.

    8 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Bud wrote in a love letter...

    Beautiful poem!

    Cool you got a call from Durbin. He's fine. Even if he is on a bill cosponsored by Santorum. What IS that bill about anyway?

    9:32 AM, March 29, 2006  
    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    I wish you could come help me plant things. This is our first spring in our house and the yard is gorgeous! I just don't know what anything is...we have 4 different flowering trees...I love it! As for your political action, good on ya sister!

    10:17 AM, March 29, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Bud: Thanks! I'm a terrible poet, but it decided to come out that way. The Durbin-Santorum bill concerns foreign aid to fight malaria and AIDS, along with a few other beneficial things. You can read about it at http://www.one.org/
    There's my public service announcement for the day.

    Julie: That's one of the many fun parts about moving to a new house; spring is always a surprise. I hope you have a yard full of tulips! Let me know what your trees are. You might even get some fruit!
    I'm really happy HR 683 went through with the changes. Otherwise, I might have had to pay royalities for the use of Tony Soprano's name in my guest post over on bored housewife! Can you believe that?

    10:46 AM, March 29, 2006  
    Blogger Dantares wrote in a love letter...

    v. cool. The only time I got a call from my MP was when I dated his daughter. Not quite the same! Dantares.

    11:00 AM, April 01, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Ha! No, Dantares, not quite the same. Unless he was calling you to tell you he had implimented the changes in his daughter that you had suggested. Something tells me no. ;-)

    1:51 PM, April 01, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

    10:32 AM, February 19, 2010  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

    10:46 AM, February 20, 2010  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    Very shorts, simple and easy to understand, bet some more comments from your side would be great

    1:01 AM, March 13, 2010  

    Post a Comment

    << Home