Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, March 19, 2006

    The Living Bread Experiment


    No, not Jesus, though it is Sunday.


    I’m talking about two bags of Amish Friendship Bread, passed on to me by my mother-in-law’s neighbor a few days ago.
    Does anybody know about this stuff?
    I mean, it’s two bags filled with this cream-colored mushy liquid, like a sourdough starter. It comes with photo-copied instructions on what to do with it every day.
    Yes, it goes on for days.
    Days one through three: Let it sit on your counter. Squeeze it periodically throughout the day.
    Hee. Sounds like my treatment on O’s days off.
    Day four: Add a cup of flour, a cup of sugar and a cup of milk. Squeeze as usual.
    So, this morning I opened the bags, to feed them. The first one had a yummy, yeasty, beery smell to it. Here you go, eat your sugars, niiiice starter. Yum yum.
    The second one. Well.
    Maybe vintage Thunderbird describes it best.
    I fed it anyway. A twin-mother’s instinct.
    We’ll see in a few days. In the meantime, I’ll continue to squeeze the bags! Love the bags! Nice bags!
    Then I’ll do another sniff test, and divide up the results into four more bags, like the directions say, and pass them on.
    Anybody want one? I won’t send you the Ode Du Mad Dog, I promise. Yes, I know which is which.
    Do you think the ancestors of my bags-o-living-bread actually came from an Amish farm? What’s a good Amish substitute for Zip-Loc bags?
    Ok, here’s a photo.



    Woo! Got it to load, finally. Blog must be over its flu.

    14 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Giovanna wrote in a love letter...

    I think I have heard of this. It's like supposedly hundreds of years old and just keeps getting divided and passed on? But do you keep one for you to then bake?

    *holy dyslexia Batman! my confirmation word is "dobdg"

    3:13 PM, March 19, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Yup, you keep one for bread and pass four on. Or at least you're supposed to.
    But, I imagine that at that rate, everyone on the planet would have a bag of this stuff. Amish Friendship Bread should in theory wipe out world hunger. :-)

    (Too bad it's not that simple. Don't get me started on the subject...)

    *wow! My confirmation word is gbdob! ;-)

    5:25 PM, March 19, 2006  
    Blogger mykl jon wrote in a love letter...

    Stay on it!! You don't want to have some kind of yeasty gobs of goop all over your kitchen kind of explosion! Send me a slice in the mail please.
    mykl

    sadly, my confirmation word looks more like "muthafukka" than gobsogoo

    9:42 PM, March 19, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    I'll send you some of the goop, with instructions. I'm sure three days in the mail is equivalent to squeezing.

    10:30 PM, March 19, 2006  
    Blogger Nixxie wrote in a love letter...

    oooh amish friendship bread!!! wow I haven't had that in YEEEEEEEEEEEARS!

    Don't think it would keep all the way here and it would probably get confiscated at the border. lol

    2:18 AM, March 20, 2006  
    Blogger Favorite Apron wrote in a love letter...

    Makes really yummy sweet bread. I have a couple of bags in my basement fridge as we speak - a year old at least, but they'll still be good.

    6:42 AM, March 20, 2006  
    Blogger MyUtopia wrote in a love letter...

    I think my mom participated in the whole friendship bread awhile ago. I have vague memories of it.

    7:01 AM, March 20, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Nicci: What border? Where do you live? I imagine it might be considered a biohazard. Can you imagine? :-)

    Favorite Apron: Really? Cool. So bt now they've become like memebrs of the family; members that you eat. ;-)

    Myutopia: And you lived, so I'll take that as a good sign. Unless your memory is fuzzy because of the bread's effects...

    9:57 AM, March 20, 2006  
    Blogger Lisa wrote in a love letter...

    LOVE the friendship bread!! It is very disconcerting at first, but once you reach the baking stage, it all just fades away...I can't wait to hear how your bread turns out.

    9:10 PM, March 20, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    "It is very disconcerting at first, but once you reach the baking stage, it all just fades away..."

    Sounds like giving birth! ;-)

    9:57 PM, March 20, 2006  
    Blogger Nixxie wrote in a love letter...

    I live in Sweden. Something about food coming over makes them scared. I actually had my nyquil and apple butter taken from me at a security check point one time. lol

    2:26 AM, March 21, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    nicci: Ha! You're a regular terrorist!

    8:44 PM, March 21, 2006  
    Blogger Nixxie wrote in a love letter...

    lol!!! They looked at me sooooooo strange when I said "IT'S BUTTER MADE FROM APPLES!" Simon was crushed because he looooooooves that stuff. So now I have my mom wrap it up in clothing and ship it to me. ;)

    11:43 PM, March 23, 2006  
    Blogger jeje wrote in a love letter...

    jordan retro
    michael kors purses
    air max 95
    patriots jerseys
    cheap jordans
    nike roshe run
    yeezy boost 350
    nike huarache sale
    louboutin shoes
    kobe 11

    9:22 PM, March 22, 2017  

    Post a Comment

    << Home