Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Thursday, March 02, 2006

    Ash Wednesday

    A post to commemorate the anniversary of my big brother’s death, which coincided with Ash Wednesday this year. Thanks, guys, for giving me a place to put my grief. I promise my next post won't be quite so raw.

    His name was Christopher. He was born with the most severe form of spina bifida possible – resulting in a malformed skull. The doctors did not believe he would live through his first night, and for the next 17 years, he made them eat their words. Numerous operations before the age of three left him without the ability to speak, see, hear, walk, chew, or breathe without the aid of a short metal pipe in his trachea. Frequent petit mal seizures rocked his wasted body every day.
    But he is my hero. And so are my parents, for caring for him with such love and devotion. It was only through their efforts that he lived – and lived as comfortably as someone in his compromised and miserable condition could.
    The experimental surgeries performed on him broke ground in the field of spina bifida treatment, and I can only imagine how many lives have been saved, and how many people live a normal life, thanks to his sacrifice. If there is a heaven, and if there is one earthly soul residing in that heaven. It is him.

    No life is ever wasted. Let me repeat that. NO life is EVER wasted.

    I love you, Chrissie. You’ve left a brother-shaped hole in my heart. I don’t know if you’re out there, somewhere, or if we’ll ever meet behind the wall. But, maybe, yeah?



    For more information on spina bifida -- http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/spina_bifida/spina_bifida.htm

    2 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    I had no idea. I'm so sorry. What a lovely tribute. I'm sure he is very proud of you!

    4:08 PM, March 06, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Thanks, Julie. I've gotten a lot of private emails from people responding to this post, and I just want to say thanks, everybody. You guys are great.

    3:14 PM, March 18, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home