Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Wednesday, February 01, 2006

    Thanks, Poppy

    Marvin Hill, Ghostwriter




    As I told Mr. DeLaClowncar the other day, writing an outline for JALL is harder than writing the damn novel. He
    commiserated. He's just finished writing his own outline. It is a thing of beauty, let me tell you. So's the book, by the way.

    Anyhow, I decided to ask Poppy Z. Brite for some pointers, and, being a scholar and a gentleman, Doc Brite gave me a good suggestion:



    "These things are a bitch to write, but they do get easier with practice. One helpful trick I've found (assuming you've already completed the novel, or at least a big chunk of it) is to start at the end and work your way backward. Don't write the actual outline this way, of course, but thinking of it in this fashion can help you keep events in order, realize which characters need to be introduced and which can be left out of the outline for the sake of brevity (a Lost Souls outline I once wrote never mentioned Christian -- he's important to the heart of the novel, not so important to its linear structure), etc."

    Poppy also sent me the first outline for Prime, which really helps, since I can compare it to the final book.

    So...wish me luck (again). If I win this contest, it will send me lightyears into my writing career.

    And wish Mr. Clowncar luck, too. He's going for Breadloaf.

    And, a belated good luck to Julie. Hang in there!

    10 people left me a love letter:

    Blogger mykl jon wrote in a love letter...

    An outline huh? This sounds like a homework assignment. You must really be dedicated to this. I hope you do win this contest. Which contest is it again? Is it the National Novel Writing Contest? ( I just made that up) Good luck! or is that bad luck to say in the literature world like it is in the theatre? Break a leg or a pencil or a fingernail or whatever applies!
    mykl

    10:35 PM, February 02, 2006  
    Anonymous Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Fortunately, you appear to be brilliant and need very little luck.

    10:23 AM, February 05, 2006  
    Anonymous mykl jon wrote in a love letter...

    Come on over and visit NW Washington anytime. Thanks for dropping by the blog too. Hope the kids didn't get the best of you. How's that outline coming along? Don't forget to throw in a little goddamn cussing just for good measure.
    mykl

    10:25 AM, February 05, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Yarg!!! Is anyone else having trouble with their blog?

    10:25 AM, February 05, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    There!

    Mykl:
    I _would_ break my leg to win. I've finally finished the outline, and I think it's pretty good. Off to the contest it goes on Monday, along with the first 50 pages. I'm not going to say here which contest it is, because there are few entrants and the prize is generous. I'm protecting my happy hunting grounds. :-)

    Popeye:
    (ND looks around, thumbs back through posts, tilts her head in confusion) Brilliant? About as brilliant as dandruff. And just as scattered. Where'd you get that idea, sailor? But thanks. :-)

    10:26 AM, February 05, 2006  
    Blogger mykl jon wrote in a love letter...

    I was having trouble when I dropped by a couple times. Your last post said "3 comments" but I could only see the comment I had made.
    I read you loud and clear on the "protecting the hunting grounds" thing. Happy Hunting! After you win will you let us know what it was?
    I loved the "Mom, the sacrifices are here." comment over at BHW's site. That cracked me up!
    Keep em comin!
    mykl

    9:32 PM, February 05, 2006  
    Blogger Julie wrote in a love letter...

    Julie me? If so, you are the best! (if not...just pretend it is for me!) I'm reading this late...I didn't have much time for any reading last week. I'm glad to catch up. Sounds like you are crazy busy!!!! I want to hear more about this contest too! Just entering is a huge accomplishment!

    1:26 PM, February 08, 2006  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Mykl -- I'll let you know. So you write short stories? I have some contests for you if you are interested. Lisa's always a fun read, isn't she? Not to mention a fun look if you're so inclined.

    Julie -- Yes, you, silly girl! Congrats again. Let me know how you did on the essay.

    10:12 PM, February 08, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous wrote in a love letter...

    In case you may e-mail me with a couple of suggestions on just how you made
    your weblog look this glorious, I'd be grateful.

    Also visit my blog best pregnant

    10:45 PM, May 27, 2013  
    Blogger jeje wrote in a love letter...

    michael kors outlet online
    nike roshe one
    links of london
    nike huarache
    basketball shoes
    adidas yeezy boost
    air jordan shoes
    yeezy boost
    cheap jordans
    true religion outlet

    9:08 PM, March 22, 2017  

    Post a Comment

    << Home