Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Sunday, December 04, 2005

    Well? How did I get here?



    Ghostwriter -- Marvin Hill


    Have you ever been somewhere, somewhere fantastic, where things made you laugh, and gape and you hated to leave and when you did you couldn't wait to get back there again?
    Did you return much later, only to find that you didn't recognize it, not because it had changed, but because you had?

    That's how I'm feeling about the chapters I'm now trying to "edit." I wrote these suckers years ago, back when the world seemed a brighter place, and so much has changed now, I've changed, to the point where I cannot even begin to hook them up to the Story So Far.

    I spent all summer working toward them (chronologically), amazed that these chapters, which I thought would take place much earlier in the book now looked like they were falling in around page 200...then 250...then backed all the way to 275...and now that I stand on the threshhold, I'm reading the first one and thinking, "God, how am I going to reconcile this stuff to What's Gone Before? It's so much fluffier, and the mindsets of the characters are so different, but this is what I've been working toward, and now it's practically useless.

    Yarg.

    I guess it's a good sign, maybe, that my writing has gotten better, and that the story has evolved into something so much richer (or maybe just more complicated, which might be a bad thing, I don't know). I had high hopes of writing my way to these "fun" chapters, chapters that had flowed out of me during my 25-minute-lunch-hours at the Company Where I Sold My Soul (I even based a scene in one of these Hell chapters on this company's break room), and, once there, just doing a bit of light editing, and ba-boom! 30+pages added to the book, leading into More Fun Stuff to Write, a dramatic little turn of events, a big surprise, a tragicfunny climax, and an ending that, while standing on its own, leaves enough open for at least two more books.

    Nope.

    Looks like more writing. The place I'd wanted to get to was just a pretty mirage.

    You know, though, looking over it again, it's not completely useless. I don't think. But I'm going to have to do some fancy footwork to explain the Unliving City, and why the sky is yellow, and the necessity of traveling through the sewer that isn't a sewer unless you think it's a sewer, in which case that's all it has ever been. Until you change your mind. (Hint -- it's quantum physics, folks).

    Ok, I think I just answered my own question. Now, back to reading "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity."

    3 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous tadpole f. earwax wrote in a love letter...

    This is not my beautiful house!

    That's a tough one. I know I had problems keeping the style consistant during Life Under Water, and that was only over a 2 year period, not a decade. There ae 2 pieces of good news hiding here, however - 1) rewriting is easier and more fun than writing (at least for me), and 2 - it means your writing is evolving, and getting better. Hook the train cars together, then repair them.

    9:40 PM, December 05, 2005  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    And how goes the submissions for LUW this time around? Any word?

    9:52 PM, December 05, 2005  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    P.S. Mr. Earwax; nice musical catch!

    'Course, I'd be surprised if you didn't seeing as you've had the pleasure of actually breathing the rarified air of CBGB's.

    9:58 PM, December 05, 2005  

    Post a Comment

    << Home