Life Among the Never-Winged

Once upon a time I was writing a book called, "Just Another Love Letter", about angels behaving badly. Now I just quietly ask myself each day, "What the hell am I doing?"

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Rocky Mountain Empire, United States

My friends always knew I was going to hell. My only hope is that God likes good jokes and bad redheads.

Life Among the Never-Winged Sponsored By:
  • Books Unlimited
  • Friday, December 09, 2005

    Tricky Devils



    "Tricky Devils" Marvin Hill - www.marvinhill.com

    Yesterday was actually a really good day. My post would lead you to believe otherwise, so I thought I’d clarify. Reading and writing are tricky devils; I guess that’s why the angel who introduced them to mankind is considered fallen.


    I had a fantastic time, going out(!) to lunch with one of my Constant Readers. She needed to get out too; her father just suffered a “small heart attack”, and she lives 1000 miles away. She’s the person I want to be when I grow up; poised, intelligent, open to learning new things, and in constant control of herself, if not her surroundings.


    I had the duck curry – tender slices of duck with the mahogany skin crisped and curling, wedges of green-striped eggplant the size of limes, crinkle-sliced zucchini, all in a curry the color and heat of a summer sunset. The warmth hit me like good whiskey, like Tullamore Dew. The conversation was even better. She’s a photographer, and we talked about her new camera, and her up-coming trip to India. We compared Thanksgivings. I didn’t go into too much detail, since she’s a mutual friend of mine and my sister-in-law’s (no, I just spew out my frustrations to a billion bloggers instead), but I got an earful of what she said about O and me. Constant Reader had a Thanksgiving, (the likes of which haven’t been seen since Popeye stumbled into that (708) Norman Rockwell painting) complete with “what I’m thankful for” speeches, and a ping pong ball tournament. Good stuff.


    Oh, and our waiter called me ‘Miss. MISS! He couldn’t have been a day over 22. So I can forgive him for coming over to our table 4 times to tell us about his photography show, and trying to get an ‘in’ with Constant Reader at the Botanical Gardens. I’ve been there. Shit, I’m still there. More power to him for trying to network.


    I’ve discovered a new toy online, called Pandora’s Box. Just go to www.pandora.com. Type in a favorite song, and it generates a play list of songs with similar characteristics. It does a good job of matching things like voice, time, instrumentation, etc., but at the same time, it doesn’t quite grasp the geist of a song. Still, it’s a good way to discover new music, and it’s something to keep your ears busy.

    I haven't yet tried the experiment of putting in U2, but I imagine that if I do, every song every recorded by Coldplay will pop up.

    Typing in 'Kate Bush' produces an interesting, if not accurate, play list. There are the usual suspects, like Tori Amos, and Vienna Teng, but a few surprises as well. I had to laugh when a song from Jesus Christ Superstar came on. Then there were The Carpenters, like broccoli on pizza. (Eat it! It’s good for you!). But, I was quite pleased with one song by a group called Over the Rhine. The song was ‘What I’ll Remember Most’ and the lyrics I caught were:


    Angel or demon
    You know that they can share one bed
    I've laid awake so long
    I've got them both inside my head

    This is what I'll remember most about dying
    So many moments like ghosts
    Slipping through my hands in vain
    You were 80% angel
    10% demon
    The rest was hard to explain


    If I were a superhero, my power would be synchronicity, as O can attest.

    3 people left me a love letter:

    Anonymous zygote l. frappachino wrote in a love letter...

    I really like your Marvin Hill illustrations. Who is he? Do I recall an RIP after his name?

    That Pandora site is prety cool. I put up Christmas lights to their "Life During Wartime" playlist.

    How's Christmas treating you?

    5:54 PM, December 09, 2005  
    Blogger Nancy Dancehall wrote in a love letter...

    Marvin Hill was a Drake grad, a printmaker who lived in Wisconsin. He passed away in 2002. You can find more of his stuff at marvinhill.com. His wife did/does all the watercolor work. He left behind so many prints, that she is still coloring them and offering them for sale.

    Did you find some good music?

    Christmas...Lord, don't get me started! I'll fill you in when you get to town.

    8:29 PM, December 09, 2005  
    Blogger Popeye wrote in a love letter...

    Over the Rhine really is amazing. If you ever hear about them coming through town, go. Thier concerts are wonderful. . .

    8:44 PM, December 11, 2005  

    Post a Comment

    << Home